Exodus 20:15-16 “You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.”
Ephesians 4:28 “Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.”
John 8:44 “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- How did this message convict you this week? Is there something you would like to give to God and repent from?
- Are lying and stealing related? If so, How?
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- How does working hard in all that you do benefit yourself and others? Can you think of a scripture reference to back up your answer?
- If you were an employer, how would you expect your employees to behave? If you are an employee, how would you expect your employer to treat you? If either of these scenarios are stealing from someone, how can you improve your workplace?
- If a friend were to ask you for advice and you disagreed with the way they are living their life, how would you lovingly tell them without lying? If you needed advice, would you be able to handle the full truth, no matter how hard it was to hear?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- Have you ever told a little lie that grew into a big problem? Was the lie worth the consequences?
- Have you ever stolen something and been caught? Have you ever stolen something and nobody found out? What is the price of your integrity?
- We learned that we are guilty of stealing when we defame someone’s good name. Have you ever had someone attempt to tell lies about you? How can we be sure to not do that to others?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Father God, Thank you for your loving nature. We mess up daily. But where there is repentance, there is forgiveness. You are such a good God and we thank you for allowing us to start over any day at any time. Father, we ask you to reveal in our hearts any place where we are stealing or lying. Point it out Father. Convict us. When it is revealed, we pray our hearts will be open to coming clean and repenting of the act/acts. We want to live a life that is fully devoted and pleasing to you. In Jesus name, Amen.
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- If you have lied or stolen something from someone else, come clean and ask for forgiveness.
- Ask God to reveal areas of your life that you need to surrender and repent from. He will gladly take them and forgive you.