And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit Ephesians 5:18
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. I Corinthians 6:9-1
While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. II Peter 2:1
You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12
But you must be careful so that your freedom does not cause others with a weaker conscience to stumble. 1 Corinthians 8:9
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Can you think of anyone you know that had to struggle with an addiction?
- What point in the sermon stood out the most to you? Why?
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- Do you think someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs is alert to temptations and the devils’ tactics?
- Why do you think God requires us to be sober minded?
- God requires “holiness” and “separation”. What does that mean to you?
- We often have ways of justifying what we do. If we truly want to be more Christ like, can we honestly say that Jesus would participate in some of the things we give our selves to?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- Have you ever known someone that was under the influence of alcohol that made a mistake that damaged their testimony? (Don’t name anyone).
- Are there other things we can yield ourselves to other than alcohol or drugs that can control our lives and alter our judgement?
- Even if someone feels free to do something and its not necessarily sin, if it could cause a brother/sister to stumble in their walk with God – should we refrain from it?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
Jesus I know you want me to live a life that pleases you. You have called me to a life that is holy and worthy of you, help me to be mindful of your presence and live a life that is pleasing to you. I want others to see you through me. Amen.
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- This week I'm going to yield to the Holy Spirit to help me overcome any weakness I may have.
- I will pray specifically for someone that God lays upon my heart this week.
- I will refuse to be controlled by anything other than God Spirit.