If we don’t know who we are, we’ll never know how we ought to live. God’s promise is true: “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
If we do not know who we are, we’ll never know how we ought to live. God’s promise is true: “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). If you have given your life to Christ, you are a new creation. What does this mean? Today we will discuss what it means to be a part of "A New Family."
(The goal is to grow in our relationship with Christ and each other. It is ok if you don’t cover every question.)
1. When we think about what "family" means, we all come to the table with different ideas. Name some things that come to mind when you hear the word family.
2. Do you ever fear that your past experiences with family will keep you from serving God and ministering to others in the present? Why?
3. Have a volunteer read Ruth 1:15-18. What did Ruth’s commitment to go with Naomi mean to her? What did Ruth give up to go with Naomi to Bethlehem? Has anyone ever given up something significant in order to be committed to you?
4. How does Ruth’s statement in verses 16-17 mirror what happens when we receive and begin to follow Christ?
5. When we are bitter why is it important to surround ourselves with people who will let us know how much God cares for us? Who are you willing to share your hurts with? Is there something you need to share now?
6. In what area of your life do you need to trust in God’s providence? What is one step you can take this week to help you trust Him?
7. What are some practical ways we as a group might demonstrate our commitment to one another in times of difficulty?
Yes, there are sacrifices for our commitment to follow Jesus Christ, but they do not compare to the blessings that come with Christ and His family.
"As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died." Galatians 6:14
Thank God for His faithfulness to us. Thank him for welcoming you into a new family. Pray for those God has put in your life to disciple you and encourage you. Pray you would faithfully demonstrate His faithfulness to others.
You can face life with the kind of love and support God has in mind for you. Our spring season is starting soon.Learn More
A church isn't a building—it's the people. We meet in locations around the United States and globally at Upward Church Online. No matter where you join us, you'll find friendly people who are excited to get to know you!