Like many of nature’s creatures that use poisonous venom to paralyze their prey, fear’s venom disables it, victims. What is the essence of fear? How can we move past its effects? And what is the antidote?
Faith more than anything is what God is looking for to characterize the lives of His people. Faith has substance and that substance is hope. Hope is the most valuable substance in the universe. Faith is so powerful that with it you can move mountains, overcome impossible odds, and speak those things that are not there as though they were. How do you mine it? How do you get it?
(The goal is to grow in our relationship with Christ and each other. It is ok if you don’t cover every question.)
1. Are you prone to taking risks? Why or why not?
2. What is the biggest risk you have ever taken? What influenced you to do it? What was the outcome?
3. Ask a volunteer to read Hebrews 11:1-3. How would you describe faith to someone who has never experienced it? How did the writer of Hebrews describe faith?
4. Complete the following sentence: “Faith is ….”
5. What do your answers reveal about the nature of faith?
6. What are some things that might cause Christians to question whether Jesus is in control of all things?
7. What is one area of your life that God is calling you to exercise faith over fear?
8. What’s one action that is tied to faith in that area of your life that you can try to accomplish?
The difference between just speaking something, and having real faith, is the substance that your relationship with Jesus brings. Faith always defeats fear. Standing together produces unity. And your prayers for those in need are heard and answered by a loving God.
“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live forever; and this bread, which I will offer so the world may live, is my flesh.” John 6:51 NLT
Pray to close your group and ask to be the kind of people who are characterized by faith more than anything else. Pray for the specific situations your group mentioned in which they need to exercise their faith.
A church isn't a building—it's the people. We meet in locations around the United States and globally at Upward Church Online. No matter where you join us, you'll find friendly people who are excited to get to know you!